You should always use a positive approach to training your dog. Rewarding him with a treat and praise will go a lot further than hitting and yelling. Dogs and puppies want your approval and will try to please you to get your praise.
Once you have taught your dog the two basic commands of “sit” and “down”, you are ready to move on to the “stay” command. This command comes in handy when you are out somewhere and you don’t want your dog to get into something he shouldn’t or to keep him contained in a dangerous situation. The steps are basically the same as for any other training with the action and command being the differentiating factor. Here are some steps you might use to train your dog to stay:
1. Get the puppy (or adult dog) to lay down or sit (You should already have them well trained in these commands before you can expect him to stay).
2. Give the “stay” command – some people put their hand up with the palm facing the dog in sort of a “Stop” command as well. Pet Sitting And Dog Walking Directory
3. Give praise no matter how long he actually “stayed”. Of course, at first the dog won’t really stay at all, but you must give the praise anyway.
4. Release him by calling him to you and reward him with praise and a treat.
5. Praise the dog no matter how long he stays in position. At first he will only stay for a short time, but as he catches on you can lengthen that time period and eventually even leave the room and expect to find him as you left him.
6. Repeat the steps 5 times. No more than 5 times or it won’t be fun! You can try again later in the day.
Training your dog is important so that you can take him out without him acting unruly, but you get much more from training a dog then you might expect. Your dog loves to hang out with you. He learns to listen to his name. He gets used to doing things with you, but on your plan. Training helps your dog feel more secure as it strengthens your position as leader. Spending a couple of minutes each day training your dog will help build a strong relationship. Dog Food Conspiracy
Giftbaskets And Flowers
Obinna Heche: Los Angeles- California
To find excellent information about Dog Training, Dog Behaviour, Dog Obedience Training, Dog Food, Dog Health, Grooming and Dog Care. Everything that concerns Dog Owners and their Dogs.. Visit.. http://myspace.com/biggso